GARBAGE and RECYCLING
Monday / Thursday
Tuesday / Friday
Single Stream Recycling: Please ensure cardboard is flattened and tied.
Mattresses will be picked up on Garbage Day when wrapped in plastic
Wednesday – Yard Waste
Metal and TV’s are by appointment pick up only
Please call by Tuesday, no later than 3:00 pm, for Wednesday pick up
A PARTIR DE LUNES 8 DE JUNIO
EL DEPARTAMENTO DE SANIDAD Y RECICLAJE VOLVERA A LA NORMALIDAD
BASURA Y RECICLAJE
LOS COLCHONES SERAN RECOJIDOS CON LA BASURA REGULAR Y ENVUELTOS EN PLASTICO
MIERCOLES – RESIDUOS DE JARDIN
ARTICULOS DE METAL Y TELEVISORES SOLO SON RECOJIDOS CON CITA LOS MIERCOLES
LA ULTIMA LLAMADA SERA MARTES A LAS 3:00 P.M.
REMINDER: Yard waste does not include grass clippings. The City does not pick up grass clippings.
Residential garbage is restricted to four (4) thirty gallon containers, weighing a maximum of 75 pounds, per collection day.
Yard waste is collected on Wednesdays ONLY!
Leaf Collection is on Wednesdays ONLY!
The City will collect LARGE metal items, such as refrigerators, stoves and air conditioners, on Wednesdays;YOU MUST call the City at 676-4402 or 676-4858 for metal pickups on the preceding Monday to arrange a pickup. DOORS MUST BE REMOVED FROM FREEZERS AND REFRIGERATORS.
- Non-metal items such as couches, chairs and other bulky items will be picked up with the normal garbage collection. PLEASE BE SURE TO REMOVE ALL METAL FRAMES FROM COUCHES AND OTHER SIMILAR ITEMS.
- Tree trimmings and hedge cuttings must be tied in bundles less than 4 feet in length and 24 inches in diameter; bundles must weigh less than 50 pounds. No more than 10 bundles per week may be placed at curbside of collection.
- Yard waste is collected on Wednesdays ONLY! The City of Glen Cove does not accept grass clippings. See the section on GRASS CLIPPINGS, below.
- Leaves and all yard waste must be placed in clear plastic bags only.
- Injurious materials, such as glass and metal with sharp edges, must be containerized so that the collector will not be injured handling them.
- Glass must be broken out of windows, doors and mirrors, and must be double bagged and containerized.
- The Department of Public Works will collect NORMAL amounts of refuse from premises. For ABNORMAL amounts the Department of Public Works has the right to refuse material, defer collection, collect material in part or arrange a special collection for a charge. The Department of Public Works does not pick up wooden pallets such as those used in the construction industry.
The City of Glen Cove WILL NOT pick up your grass clippings. The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation has mandated that the City of Glen Cove may no longer pick up residential grass clippings. The City has therefore implemented a “Don’t Bag It” policy. It is important for homeowners to recycle grass clippings by leaving the clippings on the lawn.
Grass clippings are high in nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium – all vital elements for the health of your lawn. You’ll save money by not having to fertilize your lawn as frequently. Clippings left on the lawn DO NOT contribute to the formation of thatch, and DO NOT increase the incidence of lawn diseases. Leaving grass clippings on the lawn reduces water evaporation from the lawn, and helps keep the soil cooler. Leaving your clippings on the lawn also saves you from the cost and effort of bagging the clippings.
You do not have to use a mulching mower provided you mow your lawn regularly.
Private landscapers ARE NOT permitted to place grass clippings at curbside for collection… they must take bagged clippings to an approved waste disposal or composting facility, or leave the grass clippings on the lawn.
The City of Glen Cove CANNOT accept the following materials:
- Construction, remodeling, repair and contract operations waste materials, such as bricks; plaster and plasterboard; shingles; roofing materials; concrete and asphalt; and electrical and plumbing waste. These materials must be removed by a private contractor.
- Hazardous wastes, which include products that are flammable or explosive; radioactive materials; disinfectants; pesticides; propane tanks; automobile parts and products.
- Grass clippings